Razzy Rants: Being a Red Cross volunteer

A lot of people ask me why I’d even started being a volunteer, let alone stay one. My answer mostly is quite simple; I’m just special. But if it wasn’t for people like me, would life be so much better? I’d like to think I’m DOING my part to keep this world safe and sane. Not only that, but I notice that it has changed the way I go about in life. No more mister bad guy, but a friendly helping hand. And for those wondering, I’m a volunteer in the Belgian Red Cross..


How did I become a volunteer

About 7 and a half year ago, my girlfriend at the time told me she was pregnant. This joyous news makes you rethink your life, and especially what to do now! I was a young, inexperienced boy and I was to become a father! So things needed to change. I started to learn how to cook (not a lot mind you =/), and I took a first-aid course in city-Hall. The reason was simple. I wanted to take care of my little boy if he would fall and scratch his knee, or worse, get burned! So I participated the class, every Saturday for about 10 weeks (4h classes) where the teacher taught me the most basic stuff. How to bandage a foot, what to do with burns, abrasions, how to perform CPR, .. actually all the things everybody should know! And I liked it, the classes were fun, the info was important and I felt like I really gained in value just by paying attention. During the lessons, our teacher, who was the head of the local Red Cross section, she used to tell us anecdotes of situations where those small lessons made a difference, and I was really fascinated by that. By myself, I used to faint when seeing blood, and got raving mad when someone approached me with anything needly-pointy, so this was a HUGE step forward for me, and by the end of the lessons I really got the hang of putting on bandages, cleaning wounds, and overall care-taking. Our teacher asked all the participants the question if we were willing to join her on a service, where we could see what being a Red Cross volunteer was all about, and I went in on that invitation.

Even at a young age, you can join the Red Cross and learn how to deal with those wounds

Then what?

Well, my first service I ever did was a party in our local Hall. About 4000 people were there during the night dancing to the popular tunes by a peculiar good deejay, and we were there with 6 volunteers guarding the peace. Which most of the time means just sitting there talking to each other, walking around the premises, and talk some more. But even that night I got to see what all the assistance was that we deliver. It started with a simple Band-Aid for a girl with new shoes, to 2 two guys fighting (and both ending in our first-aid station!), to even a heart-attack. Needless to say the night made a big impression on me. Not only did I see the good we did, but I got to take part in an action that ultimately saved a person’s life. I continued doing services, and really liked the time I spent with not only my colleague-volunteers as well as the “victims”.
Help FIRST, laugh later!

Yay! Free passes to all the events!

As a Red Cross volunteer I’ve been to a lot of great places and events. Not only do you get to be part of some great parties, festival’s, sports matches (even on the field!), dances, …
I’ve been to the finale of our football league, as a volunteer of section Bruges, I go to almost every match of “Club Brugge”, I’ve been to the festival at “Werchter”, “Dranouter” and “Red Rock Rally”. I’ve volunteered at the world championship of inline skating, running-events, countless parties by scouting and youth-clubs to even some open house days for schools or public buildings where the worst that could happen would’ve been a paper cut. You spend a LOT of time on those events. You have to be ready about an hour in advance, and can’t leave until everybody else is gone. You are responsible for their wellbeing. And that’s something not to underestimate. Yea, you are at the match of the year. But instead of spending 2 hours watching it on TV, you spend an hour prepping all the material + transport, you have to be at the event 2 hours in advance (because the supporters can enter an hour before the beginning) and you’ll still be there when the last supporter gets on his bike heading home. On average, if we take the example of a soccer match, it’s an investment of time of about 6 hours.
Depending on the service, this is what it looks like

Study or die

Not only do you spend an insane amount of time on services, but you have to be educated as well. And that takes up another huge block of time, classes, refresher courses, specialization, .. but all those classes are very important if you don’t want to frack up when you take care of a patient. Luckily EVERY one of those courses is given by just as enthusiastic people as you are (read: as mad as you are) and I end up having a great time in those courses, where I not only learn great new techniques or knowledge but have fun doing it as well. Those courses are given on a community level. Meaning you get in touch with other departments, other people and that’s another great point of the Red Cross, you’re really connected by your knowledge, your experiences, .. And that’s just great.
This always makes me laugh

Why? I mean after all that.. WHY?

Honestly? I’m just special. I guess for me, the reason I keep doing it, is to be of importance. It makes me feel important. Not only does it make me want to get better at first-aid, but I’ve also had more than enough moments where that knowledge caused me to be more calm and deal with situations. The interaction you get with random strangers is so invigorating that you stay enthusiastic about it. Your co-volunteers become more family with every service, and every action you do together and you quickly become a very familiar and fun group. It gives you a group to belong too and an objective in life. I won’t say it’s easy, and sometimes all the misery really isn’t worth it, but I can’t imagine my life without that red cross on my vest.
Real heroes wanted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Fantasy XV

DreadBall: Teraton Tactics

Disney Infinity 3.0: Review (PS4)