Nintendo Switch: Belgian Premiere

Today I was invited to attend the Belgian Nintendo Premiere. This way I could feel and see some of the upcoming games Nintendo has planned for release some time beforehand. Traveling to Brussels I was filled with anticipation and couldn't wait to get some hands-on experience with the Nintendo Switch after reading/hearing so much about it!
#NintendoSwitch


The hardware

Firstly I'd like to say that the hardware did live up to the task. While I can't be 100% certain these weren't developer models, every game I played went smoothly and without any hickup or lag! On launch day, the Switch will be available in either grey/black, or blue/red. While the grey variant has my preference, the red/blue variant does help to display the fact that you automatically have everything needed to start playing with two people. The console itself is actually the screen. While about as big as the current Wii U controller, it weighs a bit more, giving you more grip on the screen. The Joy-con controllers, are easily released from the device and can then be used seperately as two controllers. Clicking them back together on the device goes quickly and is instantly recognised by the device switching back to single mode. An impressive new design!
Launch offers us these options. Here's me hoping for a Zelda bundle with modified colour scheme!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario Kart 8 was one of the games I've gotten to test. While completely being the same as its predecessor on the Wii (U), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes with all previous DLC automatically included. Another cool new feature is the fact that you can now hold on to two items instead of one!
During playtime on the Switch screen, first a two-player battle followed by a four-player Grand prix, the gameplay was excellent. Even on the small screen, and with multiple players, the visuals stay clear and the system responsive. The controller itself proved to be very responsive in both turning and rumble features. Again, a must-have if you plan to own the console!
Noooo! Not a blue shield!


Splatoon 2

Next up was Splatoon 2! By the time I arrived, I got drafted in a team in order to play a deathmatch. Having quite some experience with the first Splatoon, I tried to follow through and keep the shame to a minimum (I failed). The multiplayer game stays mostly the same with two teams fighting for domination of an ink-splattered map. During this demo setup we only had the option to play with the 4 key-characters, 8 will be available on launch day. A cool new feature is the inclusion of a charging super-power for every Inkling (player). While I did have some trouble with the motion control, I did have fun and found it to be better than the previous version. Can't wait to try it out exhaustively (with a better party *cough*)
Team pink vs Blue!


The legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Finally I arrived at my most anticipated game! Wearing a Triforce sweater, belt and backpack, the spokesperson did not have to ask me if I knew previous games, and I was simply handed the "Pro Controller". Picking up the headset, I was greeted with the all too familiar sounds of Hyrule. The graphics of Skywards Sword and the gameplay of Windwaker. Could this be true? Why yes! Playing through the 20-minute demo (twice), I found the gameplay to be fluent and natural and I wanted to keep playing. 
Truth be told, the graphics aren't on par with what we're used to with other games, but I never found it troubling or even bothering. Neither was I expecting it to be. Secondly, Link has much more difficulty to stay alive in this game. The monsters have a much better AI, and because of the open world, you might find yourself before a stronger enemy than you can handle at that moment. All in all, I can't wait to play this thoroughly!
Another player in awe of the fun gameplay!


The gimmick games

Snipperclips

If this isn't the cutest co-op game I've seen in a long while! With up to four players you take on the role of paper clippings. Using other objects you find along the levels, you try and complete several objectives. Although I didn't take the time to play it, it looked like a fun, though crazy game resembling the Katamari series.
I just couldn't break these two up :)

ARMS

ARMS is another launch title, and I couldn't compare it better to anything than the Wii Boxing game. You both take the Joy-cons into your hands (so you need two sets!) and use them as movement and boxing gloves. This provides you with some fun "dangly" moments. Although I had some real fun playing it, I found it to be more of a gimmick-game than a game I'd be playing frequently.

1-2 Switch

Being a compilation of several mini games, this one really stood out. It involves two players, each taking a joy-con and dueling eachother. These duels include "milking a cow", quickdrawing a pistol or slashing each other with samurai swords! While most games require you to look at the screen, this game also makes you look at the opponent only using the screen to show you the result. When compared to previous compilation games, this really adds up and gives you a fine choice of party games.
Do you feel lucky punk?

Verdict

All-in-all it was a fun morning. I played, and saw some promising games and even left with a nice goody bag! With only 10 days to go, the feeling to pre-order the Switch has risen to a peak. The console really showed promise. Although the joy-con controllers (the side controllers) allow you to immediately play with two players, I found them to be too small for me to play with, having big(ger) hands. This was quickly solved by docking the controller in a specific holder, or simply resolved by using the "Pro Controller". The screen itself is really clear, and even in its portable modus I can see myself (or the children) walking around with it during the day as if it were a gameboy. The controllers are a big step up from the Wii controllers in both responsiveness and rumble feature. I can't wait to see, and experience more of what Nintendo will offer us this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Fantasy XV

DreadBall: Teraton Tactics

Disney Infinity 3.0: Review (PS4)